As you may know, I am currently doing my student teaching at Sky View high school in Smithfield. I am teaching 11th grade English and 12th grade Humanities. The teacher of the humanities class that I am working with, Doyle Geddes, has been dreaming about a giant work of art made out of cereal. Last weekend, his dream came true!
In his classes each trimester, his students make a small, poster-sized picture out of breakfast cereal, and he has been wanting to make a giant one for a long time. This work of art took months of planning and weeks of preparation for the big project. We had to lay down plastic and create a template, using a homemade grid, then we put down caulking around the lines of the template (to hold the cereal in the designated areas), and then we put the cereal down. It was cool that I got to be a part of it, but it was a lot of work. Malt-O-Meal donated the two tons of cereal, and "Ripley's Believe it or Not" came to document it-- so look for it in their next book, it will be in there! As you scroll down, you can see a little bit of the process that we went through to create it. It is the WORLD'S LARGEST recreation of any work of art made out of breakfast cereal!!! Oh, and don't worry, the cereal wasn't wasted, it went to a pig farmer to feed his pigs.

Ok, this teacher that's mentoring you sounds crazy! I hope your student teaching experience is going better than mine. I think it's a 1000 times easier once you have your own class. The pictures of your daughter on Easter are adorable :)
ReplyDelete